- Updated on November 25, 2014
- Published on November 25, 2014
Teaching English in Hong Kong is a possibility yet it's not that easy to get a job. Hong Kong used to be a British colony so many of the people here speak English. So English teaching is not really in demand compared to nearby countries like mainland China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan.
It's a big city that is densely populated. It's also busy and it suffers from air pollution. But even though it's that big it's pretty easy to get away here to a quiet beach or mountainside that is nearby. Lamma island is really nice and it's just a boat ride away. Lantau island is even bigger than that. Both offer some nice beaches and mountains for hiking.
After a year in Taiwan I came here looking for a teaching gig, but I didn't really find much and I went back to Taiwan. If you time it right you can find a job working as a public school teacher with the NET program. You'll need good qualifications for that and experience. I have occasionally seen jobs teaching in kindergartens or in private schools advertised on Dave's ESL Cafe.
Rent is pretty pricey here. One of the cheapest places to stay in Hong Kong is at Mirador or Chung King Mansions over in Tsim Sha Tsui. It's pretty convenient and you will find great Indian food there!
- Why public school teaching in Korea or Japan is NOT for you
- When you should use rewards to teach children
- 13 Reasons Teaching English in Japan is for You
- Solutions to 10 Common Classroom Problems
- 101 Timeless Teaching Tips on Video
- 5 Practical Ways to Get Experience as an ESL Teacher
- 15 Reasons teaching English abroad is NOT for you
- Just say NO to teaching children with rewards
- 9 Reasons to Begin as a Substitute ESL teacher
- 19 Reasons Teaching English in Taiwan is for You
- 21 Reasons Teaching English in Korea is for You
- 7 Great ESL Games and Activities for Groups
- Teaching Your Students Self Control With Rewards
- The Cheapest and Most Effective Online TEFL Course
- Are TEFL, TESOL, and CELTA Certificates Worth it?
- The Best Beach Locations for Teaching English in Asia
- Which TEFL/TESOL course do I take?
- The Best Beach Locations for Teaching English in Taiwan
- Where should I teach English? Part 5
- Where should I teach English? Part 6